Saturday, August 11, 2007

Family Fun and then some.

This past weekend my whole household here in Arequipa went on a short outing together. Currently there are two other students living in the house besides myself. Stephen is from Denmark and Kristina is from Germany. My host parents are Pedro and Cecilia. Juan Carlos is actually one of my Spanish tutors and Ana is in college. I have appreciated getting to know all of them more and more and they all continue to teach me more about Peruvian culture and food.

On our outing, we saw some ancient petroglifs. I am not sure how old they are but I do know they are not tourist attractions as we had to climb through several farmers fields to reach them.


After our jaunt in the country, it was off to a local restaurant for lunch. In the parking lot was a clothsline with Qui, or guinee pig, hanging out to dry. While not particularly appetizing for myself, this sight did not seem to bother the local Peruvians one bit. Needless to say, I opted for some stuffed peppers with beef.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome fun man.

Tell me, what do you think of Peru overall? Is it starting to settle in that this will be your home for a long time, perhaps a very very long time? How do you feel about that? Does that even cross your mind at all?

Just curious to know what it's like to really be out there!

Helena said...

OMW! Wow, I know that this is a OLD post, but seeing this just brought back so many memories! Your host families daughter, Ana Ce, was my teacher at ABC. =)